Ji-Hwan Kang was born and grew up in Seoul, South Korea. He received a BS degree from Korea University and a MS degree from KAIST, both in Chemical Engineering. Prior to joining Georgia Tech, his research at KAIST related to the synthesis of monodisperse titania for highly reflective colloidal structures and the fabrication of 3D functional photonic crystals via holographic interference lithography. After graduation from KAIST, he worked as an assistant researcher for Sogang University where he focused on the application of nanostructured materials with hierarchical pores to dye-sensitized solar cells and fuel cells.
He joined the Reichmanis group as a PhD student in the fall of 2010. His interests relate to the chemistry of organic electronic/photonic materials and their structural properties for photovoltaic applications. His current research concerns photon energy upconversion in nonlinear optical organic systems.
TTA-assisted photon upconversion
Photon energy upconversion, which is a nonlinear process where shorter wavelength photons (higher energy emission) can be generated apropos incident light (lower energy absorption), is readily accomplished at an extremely low intensity of excitation via triplet-triplet annihilation (TTA). This low-threshold blue-shifting optical property may provide new opportunities to enhance the efficiencies of photosensitive devices by harnessing inferior solar photons.
- Youngchan Kim, Chang-Yeol Cho, Ji-Hwan Kang, Young-Sang Cho and Jun Hyuk Moon, "Synthesis of porous carbon balls from spherical colloidal crystal templates," Langmuir, 28, 10543-10550 (2012)
- Hye-Na Kim*, Ji-Hwan Kang*, Woo-Min Jin and Jun Hyuk Moon, "Surface modification of 2D/3D SU-8 patterns with a swelling-deswelling method," Soft Matter, 7, 2989-2993 (2011)
- Ju-Hwan Shin, Ji-Hwan Kang, Woo-Min Jin, Jong Hyeok Park, Young-Sang Cho and Jun Hyuk Moon, "Facile Synthesis of TiO2 Inverse Opal Electrodes for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells," Langmuir, 27, 856-860 (2011)
- Woo-Min Jin, Ji-Hwan Kang and Jun Hyuk Moon, "Fabrication of 3D Copper Oxide Structure by Holographic Lithography for Photoelectrochemical Electrodes," ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2, 2982-2986 (2010)
- Woo-Min Jin, Ju-Hwan Shin, Chang-Yeol Cho, Ji-Hwan Kang, Jong Hyeok Park and Jun Hyuk Moon, "Holographically Defined TiO2 Electrodes for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells," ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2, 2970-2973 (2010)
- Ji-Hwan Kang, Jun Hyuk Moon, Seung-Kon Lee, Sung-Gyu Park, Se Gyu Jang, Shu Yang and Seung-Man Yang, "Thermoresponsive Hydrogel Photonic Crystals by Three-Dimensional Holographic Lithography," Advanced Materials, 20, 3061-3065 (2008)
- Hyung Kyun Yu, Gi-Ra Yi, Ji-Hwan Kang, Young-Sang Cho, Vinothan N. Manoharan, David J. Pine and Seung-Man Yang, "Surfactant-Assisted Synthesis of Uniform Titania Microspheres and Their Clusters," Chemistry of Materials, 20, 2704-2710 (2008)
- Seung-Kon Lee, Shin-Hyun Kim, Ji-Hwan Kang, Sung-Gyu Park, Won-Jong Jung, Se-Hoon Kim, Gi-Ra Yi and Seung-Man Yang, "Optofluidics technology based on colloids and their assemblies," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 4, 129-144 (2008)